Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Inspiration at its finest

I'm really start to crack down on figuring out exactly what our wedding will entail. I've been making all sorts of extremely detailed spreadsheets for the budget and the breakdown of all the different ideas we have. Since we are paying for this wedding ourselves, and we aren't exactly rolling in cash, I want to make sure that we don't spend unnecessary money on things we realized weren't important. I mean, food is important, the bar is important, but an aisle runner? Absolutely not.

That being said, in trying to figure out what we want, we have started trying to really figure out the style of this wedding. It is going to be in a backyard during the summer, but I don't want a super casual affair (but on the other hand, neither one of us are formal people). I love color, but I am obsessed with neutrals and then stick with bolder accent colors. We love the outdoors but aren't really outdoorsy people. Maybe we are difficult. Maybe we don't really know our personal styles yet (though I disagree, seeing as we have been pulling together a very lovely apartment, with photos to come soon). I like to think it is because we are both Gemini, sign of the twins, and sign of balancing/contradicting ideas. Example: I either want to live in the middle of a bustling city or out in the middle of the woods, completely off the grid. Nothing in the middle sounds good.

Despite the overwhelming amount of inspiration out there (and it's all just so damn pretty!), we have managed to narrow down our ideas. These are three of the many inspiration boards out there that best suit our tastes. They are all completely different from one another, but I am determined to somehow incorporate all three styles, color palettes, themes, etc. I know I have probably bitten off more than I can chew here, but I'm stubborn. And I prefer to think of it as ambitious.


The first one is the main feel. We both love the idea of the Secret Garden theme. All the natural and overgrown greenery, little vintage touches like rusted skeleton keys and stacks of old books, the formal touches like the chandelier offset by a casual setting... *swoon* I'm sold. In fact, I'm so sold that I have already started hunting down old keys and books on ebay and scouring the local vintage shops for tarnished silver centerpieces. Super fun, by the way, I am loving it. I might not be about to wear a big floppy white hat on my wedding day (though I have nothing against it, just isn't my personal style), but I had pretty much found the inspiration board that had exactly what I wanted, all inclusive.


Until I saw Inspiration Board #2. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I would give my right foot to live in Paris, so a romantic, luxurious, dramatic take on my favorite City of Lights got me right in the gut. If ever I was to embrace pink, this would be it. The playful pink offset by sophisticated raspberry and all alongside that moody charcoal makes my heart pitter-patter something fierce. So how can I just brush it aside? I can't. I'm thinking the colors will lead the way for the bridal party and flowers. Romantic gray dresses for my girls, with peachy-pink bouquets and pops of burgundy... hm, somewhere, not sure yet. But I am determined to make it work.


Now Board #3 is really more of a general guideline. The blue isn't quite my shade and I have no particular attachment to Mississippi. What I like about it is that it has a distinctive vintage flair without it being a "theme." It's more like a vintage take on understated elegance. Not to mention both Tony and I love magnolias. If I could find them on wholesale somewhere, I would have them be my bridal bouquet. I can't seem to find them anywhere though!

I think everything will go together fairly well, and keep in mind I have a more detailed picture in my head. But I would still love to hear any opinions or thoughts. Or ideas! Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Can I wear a big floppy hat to your wedding? lol.
    I really like the second inspiration board, and I think you could totally mix it with that vintage feel that your going for. If you wanted a pop of burgundy on your bridesmaids, you could always use burgundy fabric to wrap around the bottoms of the bouquets.
    Maybe Paris in the 1950s could offer some inspiration? It seems to have the kind of look your trying to capture (at least from what I've gathered). Your dress reminds me of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I think these three will meld beautifully! You could totally use the colors from the Parisian board, and then pull in the rustic/vintage elements from the other two. And the Secret Garden as inspiration for a wedding? I'm in love with that idea! I can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'm glad you're posting. ^_^

    ReplyDelete