Friday, February 11, 2011

Changing Names

Almost all of my friends are married, and I don't think that any of them kept their maiden name. My mom did, though, and while it made for some confusion (I have one last name, my mom has another, my stepdad and stepsister have yet another), I always respected it. As a little girl (and all through my teenage years), I always imagined that I would eventually become Mrs. Someone. The more independent alternative side of me considered keeping my name when Tony and I get married, but I am too romantic for that and I love the idea of us sharing a name.

So here is our solution: Combined last names.

Not hyphenated. That might work great for some people, but with our last names, it sounds awful. You can't tell where one ends and the other begins. No, I mean completely combined.

Bruno + Auer = Brauer

I didn't think Tony would go for having to change his name, but he is totally down for it. I like the idea of starting our own family name together, and I am completely relieved that he does too.

It opens a considerably interesting conversation, though, since everyone feels a little differently about it and there really is no right or wrong way. So that being said, what do you think? Did you ever consider keeping your own name? Or hyphenating them? Or even combining them? I would love to hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! I wouldn't have expected Tony to go for it, but it's really cool that he did. Personally, I like being Mrs. Gager. As a matter of fact, it always bugs me when people say "Miss Gager" because I'm not a "Miss", I'm a "Mrs." Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Adrienne said, I'm kind of old fashioned too. Well, Jake and I are both pretty old fashioned and traditional. I LOVE being a Mrs. and I couldn't wait to change my name. I think the combined name is something really different, and when you explained the reasoning behind it I totally understood. I think it's a really neat idea. It's like your starting a whole new family branch. A hundred years from now you'll be at the tippy top of the family tree :)

    ReplyDelete