Thursday, February 17, 2011

On a tragic note...

I apologize in advance for this post being... well, incredibly saddening. But I need to write out my thoughts and feelings on this subject, and this blog is my outlet.

Chances are, unless you live in Miami, you didn't see the cover of today's Herald. To sum up the article, 10-year old twins were being abused by their adoptive parents and Child Services was investigating. In my opinion, and I am not alone on this, it was a half-assed attempt, especially considering they took the weekend off. The reports were filed on Feb. 10th. By Feb. 14th, cops in West Palm found a pick-up truck on the side of I-95, the little girl's body was wrapped in plastic in the truck bed, the boy unconscious and suffering from chemical burns (and upon further investigation, a variety of other injuries/signs of abuse), and the father and boy doused in gasoline. According to the man, he was so distraught with the death of the girl that he was going to light himself on fire but had second thoughts because the boy's head was in his lap (he was "sleeping" because the man had given him a handful of sleeping pills. He has been formally charged with abuse, but they still aren't sure how, when, or where the girl died. Apparently the parents' granddaughter was the one to speak up, stating that she had seen the twins being tied up and made to sit in the tub with the shower curtain taped shut and other things of that nature, and was told to keep it a secret. The little boy is in critical condition, slipping in and out of consciousness and they are treating the spreading burns and various lacerations/fractures he has throughout his body. The little girl's death is being investigated. To read the full article, click here.

I got a call this morning from my best friend from high school, telling me all this. We knew these kids. They had been foster kids in her home for almost 3 years. They were babies/toddlers then. We use to watch them, play with them, feed them, spend time with them... they were absolutely adorable and we couldn't get enough of them. We also made it our duty to show them love and affection. When they were placed with my friend, they were about 2 years old. They moved on to the next home when they were almost 5. It absolutely sickens me to think that those sweet little babies had to go through this, and who the hell knows what else they had to go through in that home? It frustrates me to no end that people can treat other people this way, especially children, and I hate that the system failed these kids so drastically.

My heart goes out to Victor, who will hopefully survive this tragedy, though he will have to persevere without his twin Nubia. And I may not be religious, but I am pretty darn sure that wherever Nubia is now, it is a place better than where she was in this world.

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment